Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day.

There has been quite a push among my peers to get the vote out. Frankly, I wonder if this effort is anything more than the flavor of the month. I mean, what real weight does an uninformed vote actually have? Is it better to vote for someone because they have whiter teeth, or not to vote at all? And can a supporter of a particular candidate really honestly be interested in convincing others to vote regardless of their political leanings? I doubt that.

Still, while the effort may be flawed, the intentions are good. And I did vote this morning. I was there right when the line started to move at 8am. 37 minutes later I was headed back out to the car. The line was split alphabetically by last name: A-L to the right, and M-Z to the left. Interestingly, very few people were in the A-L line this morning. Anyone with an early last name had a considerably shorter wait. I had plenty of time in line to wonder about the logic involved in picking L/M as the point of division. And I have no grand conclusions to share with you.

Anyway, if you haven't voted yet, you probably ought to. It'd be way better if you knew something about what you were voting for. Either way, keep in mind that your vote is an endorsement of the campaign process as it exists. I was able to get past that and vote anyway, but I still feel like the piece of paper I handed in didn't come close to expressing my opinions on the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment