Sunday, July 7, 2013

Recording: Week 1 recap

It's Sunday morning. Ken Stringfellow and I spent the week recording, and then we went out on Saturday to play our respective weekend shows. I'm at home now, having coffee before heading out to play a double, and it gives me a chance to finally reflect on what a crazy week it's been.

Working with Ken has been fantastic. He's insightful, spontaneous, and incredibly skilled (at recording AND playing). He's also a worker on a schedule that I cannot fathom; I mean, I stay busy, but take a look at the path he took to get here!

We are making a record I simply wouldn't have been able to make on my own. Add to all of that the fact that Ken is a good (and funny) guy. I had suspected this from the wordplay that turns up in The Posies' songs.

Last week we had to travel to Vermont a couple times, to get the drums recorded. Tod Moses did a great job over there. This week we get to stay at the home studio, building on those foundations. I think we have four songs in the can now, and another one mostly complete. I'm working on bringing in at least one other guest musician this week. And I should probably pick up some more coffee. We're going through a lot of that.

So, we'll record through Friday night, and then Saturday morning I'm driving Ken to the airport; he's off to Texas to record another guy's project. We are looking at mixing and mastering later this year; I anticipate having CDs in hand by year's end.

And I cannot wait to share this stuff with you. Ken is able to make my musical ideas happen, and contribute his own in ways that serve the song. This has been a Hell of a project to put together, and so far, it has been totally worth it. To those of you who contributed to the fundraiser, thank you again. This record is going to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment