Monday, March 9, 2009

The weekend (with links galore).

I played with No Limitz at The Country Cow on Friday, and we got to do a sweet thing. We invited Chris Downing and his girlfriend Amanda to come up and dance. Then we played Amanda by Boston, and he proposed to her. Congrats, you two! Later, they each got up and did songs with the band, which they may or may not remember, given the lateness of the hour. Heh.

Saturday was my last show at The William Tell. They're closing down at the end of the month (until December, anyway). That's a shame; it's a good venue for what I do, and they had planned to book me for most Saturdays through the summer. Got to pound the pavement again. But that's always true, I guess. Man, I need an agent.

On Sunday morning I had a nice phone interview with a reporter from the Concord Monitor about my drinking songs. They're going to run a story in the paper this week (Thursday, maybe). Then it was off to Ragged Mountain to play a solo show at Tallulah's Tavern. It was a smaller crowd than usual, so I tried out a few new songs. It's good to take some chances on stage. And for the most part, they all worked out. I don't think anybody noticed the ones that didn't. I came away from that show with a nice arrangement of a Citizen Cope song (Night Becomes Day), and I'll probably be doing that one often.

From Ragged Mountain, I headed over to Giuseppe's in Meredith, where they were having a massive show to benefit their scholarship fund. I didn't play, but I got to see Joel Cage and Justin Jaymes and the Crunchy Western Boys. There's some good talent in these parts, folks. Don Watson was there as well, and although I didn't get to see him perform, I was able to discuss with him the details of a benefit coming up in April. I'll post it on the schedule once my time slot is confirmed.

It was about 7:30pm at this point, and not being ready to go home, I drove to Campton to The Sunset Grill for their Sunday night open mike. Jackie Lee hosts that one, and it's like hanging out in the living room listening to your friends play tunes. Except there's a big row of beer taps in there too. Knowing it was my last stop, I allowed myself a couple rounds and hung out. I played a little guitar, some bass, and a couple piano songs. I wish my schedule allowed me to book a regular show there, it's a great room. One of the first I ever played.

Tonight I'm back at Giuseppe's, playing a solo show from 6-9pm. I think it's gonna be all piano; they have a digital baby grand there that sounds veeeeeeery nice. I can't remember the last time I did an all-piano night. If there's time afterward, I may head across the street to Lago to catch the tail end of their singer/songwriter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment