Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Song Fight NYC: Report from the road.

I had a great time in New York. I left Sunday morning, and picked up fellow Songfighter Bjam in Boston around 8am. We got to Prospect Park in NYC a little before noon, and promptly got lost in it. After a bit of wandering we found the Music Pagoda. First ones there, too! Before long the place was full of Songfighters, playing songs and eating cheese and Krispy Kreme donuts.

We hung out there for a few hours, and then headed over to the legendary Sidewalk Cafe in Manhattan. I played a set there, and had the pleasure of New Zealand's own Caravan Ray singing one of my drinking songs with me. So fun! It was a good set, and I should have audio of it shortly. For now, you can view some photos from the shows right here.

We stayed over in NYC and headed out first thing Monday morning. By the time I got Bjam back to her place there was a troubling thumping coming from my front left tire. I thought it might be a problem with the e-brake, so I was swerving and braking and trying to loosen it, to no avail. Finally I stopped in Melrose and had it looked at. The mechanic told me the lugs had been loosened - someone probably tried to steal the hubcap - and I was lucky the wheel didn't fall off on the highway. Wow! At least I caught it in time, and it was a quick and inexpensive fix. The rest of the trip was much less eventful; I finished up the leftover Krispy Kremes on the way home, and that's about it.

It was a real treat to meet and talk with Johnny Cashpoint, Heuristics Inc., ujnhunter, Caravan Ray, Noah Mclaughlin, Elaine DeMasi, and Ben Kreiger. And to hang with a bunch of other songfighters I'd met before, too. I wish I could go to the SF Live event in Spokane this summer, but it's right in the busy season and I've got shows back east.

No comments:

Post a Comment