Thursday, September 25, 2008

Feeding the muse.


The urge (maybe even the ability) to write comes and goes. Spring and fall seem to be more productive. That might be due to the slowdown in the show schedule, I don't know. Anyway, I'm coming into it now, and it's frustrating. Because it doesn't come as a flood of ideas, it comes simply as the URGE to have a flood of ideas.


So it's my job to keep the muse well-fed. I'm listening to a lot of different stuff these days, and allowing it to influence my work. I'll worry later about whether the results are too derivative. For now, I just want to try to compose some stuff that moves me, and that speaks the idea as soon as it arrives, without too much distillation or second-guessing. Of course, if it were easy to do I'd be doing that instead of sitting here writing about writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment